Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Recap: Our 2nd Anniversary

Heading out for our anniversary!
On Sunday Mr. Love Bird arranged for my sisters to watch Nia while we headed out for our 2nd anniversary celebration. Let me just say he did a fabulous job! I was completely surprised and even my sisters didn't know where we were going. . .

We went on a dinner cruise!

I had been tossing around a few ideas of where we'd be going and was completely surprised! It was the perfect night for it too: a comfortable 75 degrees, breezy and a gorgeous sunset. 

Our ship (it came out a bit dark!)
My handsome man!
Uka was a little nervous about the time (he had been told to be there at 6p.m. for boarding, but it was actually at 6:30p.m) and we got there with plenty of time to spare. I was pleasantly surprised by the mixed demographic! At first I thought it was mostly senior citizens, but I guess they just arrived early like us. Eventually 20 and 30 year olds showed up and even a Sweet 16 party.

The staff was gracious and so sweet to everyone. The waitstaff was actually the entertainment and while they were heavy on the cheese factor (let's just say tambourines were involved), I forgave them because of how attentive and nice they were. The music was also a good mix of old soul (our fave!), pop etc. The DJ was from Australia and did a good job the entire evening even announcing all the special celebrations (including our anniversary). 

Our Australian DJ/emcee
I was reminded of a wedding reception with all the line dancing and flashing lights, but it was ok. Although everyone was strangers the crowd was pretty tame and the ship was actually pretty full for a Sunday night.  

The Electric Slide was in full effect!
Now about the food . . . that was one of my favorite parts! It was buffet style and while I usually get skivved out by touching the utensil handles at buffets I just washed my hands a few times and dealt with it (Type A, I know)! The selection was great: mixed green salad with lots of toppings, warm bread with soft butter (like at our wedding I have a weird thing about butter being spreadable - I can't stand hard butter!), stuffed chicken breast, salmon, beef, pork, pasta salad, steamed veggies and some of the best mashed potatoes I've ever had. They had us go through the buffet line in sections and we saw a man ahead of us with a 6" mound of mashed potatoes and while we joked about it at first, after we ate them we completely understood why he piled his plate so high! He must've been on the ship before and we even went back for seconds ourselves. For dessert we had chocolate mousse cake and cheesecake with a special message:



After dessert we took a few snapshots of the gorgeous views:






We chatted about our memories over the past 12 years (!) and our conversation did steer towards our Baby Love Bird! 

My fave (yet blurry!) pic from the evening (looking as young as we did at 19!)
By 10p.m. we were first to get off the boat though because we were tired and ready to go home, but overall it was a fun and enjoyable 2nd anniversary.




7 comments: