Tuesday, March 1, 2011

DIPE

Photo Credit: www.emma-watson-pictures.blogspot.com
Do you know what DIPE is? Well, I didn't but when I read this NYT article  I realized I had recognized the concept before.

DIPE is the Documented Instance of Public Eating.

When reading magazine articles featuring various young starlets the journalist will often remark in great detail the often unexpectedly fatty and unhealthy meal she's partaking in. The NYT article mentions how doing so is perhaps a way to make the starlets appeal more accessible: 

"... this fixation on celebrity nourishment is surely a byproduct of restricted access. Publicists, wary of prying questions, have become skilled at compressing conversations with reporters to a bare minimum of minutes. 'In the old days you wouldn’t just spend an hour with someone,' said Kevin Sessums, a writer for publications like Vanity Fair. 'In the old days you’d spend three or four days with someone.' " 

I also noticed this in a local food program in which the very rail thin hostess gorges on food that I can only imagine is most likely spit out after the take. Her tweets are often about the super fatty foods she's eating in her NYC apartment, and I really find them hard to believe. 

Carol J. Adams — a vegan-feminist intellectual who, in books like “The Sexual Politics of Meat,” has devoted much of her life to culling and analyzing images of women and food explains:

“These images of women, whether they’re ads or they’re in magazines, they’re all saying the same thing: traditional consumption of women’s bodies and animals’ bodies is O.K. It’s like fraternity culture gone viral. ‘Consume what you want.’ And, ‘What you want to consume actually wants to be consumed.’ "

I'm not quite sure I agree, but I definitely know DIPE when I see it.